Photo by TNO
|Country: The Netherlands
Description: TNO is a knowledge organisation for companies, government bodies and public organisations. It was founded in 1932 to develop applicable knowledge and create innovations that boost the competitive strength of industry and the well-being of society in a sustainable way. They further offer specialist consulting services and grant licences for patents and specialist software. With more than 2,600 employees, it is one of the largest research institutes in the Netherlands and has its headquarters in The Hague.
Main focus on transitions in five social themes:
- Industry: from economic stagnation to growth in high-technology industry
- Healthy Living: from illness and treatment to health and behaviour
- Defence, Safety & Security: from a wide range of threats to controllable risks
- Urbanisation: from urbanisation bottlenecks to urban vitality
- Energy: from conventional sources to sustainable energy systems
In the area of sustainability and energy, TNO works with commercial players and the government to develop and integrate knowledge of intelligent energy networks and smart grids. The focus lies on durable, balanced and cost-effective solution strategies for energy reduction, renewables integration and sustainability issues. The skills and knowledge provided by TNO create tools that enable energy planning, decision support, implementation strategy, and scenario assessment. Among the available facilities are a climate chamber, a nanolab, a cyber security laboratory, a sensor network living laboratory, and a vehicle hardware-in-the-loop (VEHIL) laboratory.
last updated: 30.10.2019